Christopher X J. Jensen
Associate Professor, Pratt Institute

Meetings

Attending academic conferences is one of my favorite annual activities. There’s something so exciting about several days of non-stop science, and I always try to share my work at these meetings. Below is a current list of the meetings I have attended, including my meeting presentations (many of which can be downloaded as a PDF) as well as blog posts inspired by the talks and posters of other scientists:

National Council on Science and the Environment 2018 conference in Washington, DC:
Presentation: Jensen, C. X J., 2018. “Using EnviroAtlas to give future designers a spatial sense of sustainability“.

Ecological Society of America 2017 annual meeting in Portland, OR:
Presentation: Jensen, C. X J., 2017. “Integrating student understanding of ecological flows through concept mapping”.
Blog posts: Urban Transect Walk

Evolution 2014 annual meeting in Raleigh, NC:
Presentation: Jensen, C. X J., 2014. “Visualizing cooperation theory in the non-majors evolution classroom: free tools for teaching the evolutionary dynamics of the Prisoner’s Dilemma”.   f1000
Blog posts: PreviewDay 0, Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 4, Overall Impressions, ALL POSTS.

Ecological Society of America 2012 annual meeting in Portland, OR:
Poster: Jensen, C. X J. and A. M. Cohen, 2012. “ The Evolution of Sustainable Use, a flash-based classroom tool for teaching population biology and sustainable resource management” (presented as a poster and at the Resources for Ecology Education: Fair and Share event), Ecological Society of America Annual Meeting, Portland, OR.  f1000
Blog posts: Preview [1, 2], Day 1 [1, 2], Day 2 [morning, afternoon], Day 3 [morning, afternoon], Day 4 [morning, afternoon], Day 5 [morning, afternoon], Day 6, Overall Impressions.

National Academy of Science 2011 In the Light of Evolution V: Cooperation in Irvine, CA:
Blog posts: Preview [1, 2], Day 1, Day 2, Overall Impressions.

Ecological Society of America 2010 annual meeting in Pittsburgh, PA:
Presentation: Jensen, C. X J., J .L. Verdolin, D. Moore, and A. M. Cohen, 2010. “Critical scales of heterogeneity: unraveling the relationship between group behavior, home range size, and resource dispersion”.
Blog posts
: Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 4, Day 5, Day 6, Overall Impressions.

Evolution 2010 annual meeting in Portland, OR:
Presentation: Jensen, C. X J., 2010. “Sex, Play, and Music: Reaching Non-majors Through Short Courses in Evolution”.
Blog posts
: Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 4, Day 5, Overall Impressions.

Ecological Society of America 2009 annual meeting in Albuquerque, NM:
Presentation: Jensen, C. X J., D. Moore, and J. L. Verdolin, 2009. “Virtual prairie dogs weigh in on the Resource Dispersion Hypothesis”.
Blog posts
: Day 1, Day 2, Day 3: Part A, Part B, Part C.

30th Congress of the International Association of Theoretical and Applied Limnology 2007 in Montreal, Qc, Canada:
Presentation: Ginzburg, L. R. and C. X J. Jensen, 2007. “From controversy to consensus: The indirect interference functional response”.

Ecological Society of America 2006 annual meeting in Memphis, TN:
Presentation: Ginzburg, L. R., C. X J. Jensen, and R. L. Harnett, 2006. “Predators versus Parasites: A Consumer-Resource Distinction?”.

Evolution 2006 annual meeting in Stony Brook, NY:
Presentation: Ginzburg, L. R., C. X J. Jensen, and R. L. Harnett, 2006. “Predators versus Parasites: A Consumer-Resource Distinction?”.

Ecological Society of America 2005 annual meeting in Montreal, Qc, Canada:
Presentation: Jensen, C. X J., 2005. “Are the prey- and ratio-dependent functional responses really extremes along a continuum of predator interference?”.

Ecological Society of America 2004 annual meeting in Portland, OR:
Presentation: Jensen, C. X J., 2004. “Gause, Luckinbill, Veilleux and What to Do”.

Northeast Ecology Conference 2004 in Storrs, CT:
Presentation: Jensen, C. X J., 2004. “The Paradox of Enrichment: A fortifying concept or just well-fed theory?”.

Alcala International Conference on Mathematical Ecology 2003 in Alcara de Henares, Spain:
Presentation: Jensen, C. X J., and L. R. Ginzburg, 2003. “Gause, Luckinbill, Veilleux and What to Do: Distinguishing between the Prey-Dependent and Ratio-Dependent Limit Myths”.

In addition to the presentations I have given, several of my collaborators have presented our work at meetings and seminars:

AICAD Student Success Conference at Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, NY:
Suh, K., S. VanderVoort, E. Godoy, A. M. Shmulevsky, C. Wynter, B. Brooks, and C. X J. Jensen, 2017. “Identifying Transfer of Learning Pathways Across Disciplines”.

College of Applied and Natural Sciences Research Symposium in Ruston, LA:
Presentation: Goode, J., J. V. Yule, and C. X J. Jensen, 2008. “No Clear Culprit: Assessing Overkill as the Cause for Pleistocene North American Megafaunal Extinctions via a 42-Species Model”.

Society for Vertebrate Paleontology 2005 annual meeting in Mesa, AZ:
Presentation: Yule, J. V.,  C. X. J. Jensen, and L. R. Ginzburg, 2005. “Transparency and Minimalism: Ecological Modeling of Late Pleistocene Megafaunal Extinctions”.